1.05.2012

as life passes

Today my sister and I were running around doing a few errands. It was one of those odd desert winter days when the sun was shinning bright and warm. We don't have that great of a car, and there isn't any air conditioning and the windows get stuck really easily. But we were driving down the freeway, and I just started looking.....

I never really realized how beautiful the desert was. Washington is a refreshing change of beauty with green everywhere. But I love how, in this desert, there aren't any trees blocking the natural beauty. The sun falls on it in almost an artist way. All the hills, palm trees, mountains, they're all so strategically placed. I can see God in this desert. His beauty is overpowering.

When we got off the freeway, I started looking at the people in the cars... so many of them, I knew. I'd seen before. I may not hang out with them, or even know their names, but I've seen them all over the place. Our desert is a huge number of people, but it's so weird that I see a lot of the same people all of the place. There's the woman from Del Taco, who's been there since I was 8. There's the homeless man who shows up at volleyball games, the bowling alley, has had jobs at the movie theater, In-N-Out, Revenge in downtown Palm Springs... Then there's the checkout lady at Stater Bros who's always there to scan my Red Hot Cheetos... and after 16 years in this desert, you tend to see the same people at the grocery store, movie theater, restaurants, street fair. That kind of familiarity is something I'm going to miss when I move.

After I go to Washington, I'm only going to be there for about a year and a half. Shortly after that I'm going to be going off to college. And if everything goes according to my current plan, and God doesn't throw me a curve ball, I'll most likely be moving out of state once again.

As I look at my future, honestly... I get really nervous. I'll never doubt what God has for me. But as I steps forward onto this roller coaster ride, I start to miss those days when life was simple and easy in my big house on San Antonio Rd... it's true what they say that when you're young, your biggest wish is to be older, graduating high school, moving on to your own life where you're the boss. But as you actually approach that big and scary world, your only wish is to go back to when times were easy, and you could play for hours and hours without worrying about being late for something, not finishing a paper, or any other of your regular responsibilities...

oh how I dream of those days...

1 comment:

  1. Be prepared for the curve ball ! Good stuff Maddie Rose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...