12.23.2011

a different chirstmas story...

Tonight I went to my first Christmas Eve service, ever. It was odd. I'm on the worship team, so I was actually playing. As I sat in a chair watching the team practice just after I got there, it just hit me over the head, I've NEVER done this before. I've never been to a Christmas Ever service. Every year, my family and I would go over to our Grandparents house and have a celebration with them, but this year, my sisters and I aren't going to do that until next Wednesday, which freed me up to play on the Christmas Eve service. I played Silent Night on the piano. It's a beautiful arrangement. I practiced it once on front of the worship team and pastors. For some reason, this little run through caused me to be ridiculously nervous. I understand my nerves. And when I say, I was nervous, I mean, I was shaking in places I didn't know I could shake. (like my calves, feet, back, shoulders... It was like a mini-seizure) But the odd thing was, when I went up again to do it for the church, I wasn't nervous or freaking out, or anything. Which is what I was used to. I don't really get nervous when I perform, which is why, when I felt the nerves over-take me during practice, it was super weird. So... I did what any 16 year old would do. I analyzed the situation, broke it down, and condensed what I'd discovered into this theory...

It was simply the small and intimate setting of people who I was playing for that caused me to be so nervous.

Let me elaborate.. I was playing for a group of people who meant the world to me.. and soon, each of them would be so far away from me, it would take a couple of days of driving to see them. People like Carl who has contributed greatly to my life in music and ministry, Mary who has always been there to listen to me and occasionally offer some encouragement, Paul who has been a great leader and pastor, Lloyd, David, Ellie, and Stan who are all just fellow musicians on the worship team who I have been so blessed to be accepted by. They were a group I didn't want to disappoint.

Later when I was on stage performing, I felt like I was settling back into that perfect pair of jeans that fit just right. I wasn't nervous, and I felt so comfortable and happy to finally be sharing such an important part of my life with the rest of my church family.

And I guess that's what Christmas is all about. It's about friends and family. Every year, it's just about my immediate family, and tonight, I was able to extend that out to my church family and friends. It was such an incredible experience. I always like to say that I know the real meaning of Christmas, and I do. But I just need that reminder. It's not about gifts, it's not about money, it's not about cookies, lights, trees, ornaments, coordinating colors, or anything. It's about the people you spend it with, and the Savior who came to earth in the innocent form of a child so we could all live together as one big family in eternity.
So with that, I would like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...